Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Straight Hair Secrets


Well, I had a straight hair for the weekend and I am quite perturbed that women with straight hair have been hiding the truth from me. I thought this was a sisterhood. Here's what I learned. With straight hair, I can wake up in the morning and my hair looks exactly the same as it did the day before. No strange waves sticking up in the back or clumps of hair leaning to one side or the other. With straight hair, I can ride in the convertible, see the shadow of my hair blowing in straight lines all around my head like I'm incredibly frightened, and when the car stops, my hair looks exactly the same as it did before I climbed in.
I suppose modern technology should be given credit for my weekend of straight hair. It started with a trip to the "salon," which for me is a long narrow shop with six chairs and way too many pictures of Keith Richards. As Grace the hairdresser was beginning to dry my hair, she said, "The usual?" The usual for me is letting it dry naturally. I do as little to my hair as possible. After a shower I add hair gel (confixor by Aveda) and don't think about it again unless I pass a mirror.
"Are there any alternatives?" I asked Grace. "Sure, we could straighten it."
Those words are familiar. I went through years trying to tame my curly hair into a smooth pageboy or even a Dorothy Hamil wedge. After college, I gave up and accepted my curls. The humidity in Washington, D.C. and Florida made straightening an impossibility anyway.
So imagine my surprise when Grace the hairdresser pulled out a ceramic hair straightener and my hair not only went straight, but felt baby fine. This is not my beautiful hair, I wanted to exclaim feeling like David Bowie. But it was. My children and most everyone I know felt the same. People I knew walked right past without recognizing me. Apparently, I look totally different with straight hair. Some people said I looked younger. I thought the lines around my eyes were more apparent because I didn't have all of that hair distracting from them.
And when I got up Saturday morning, my looked exactly the same. So I skipped my morning shower and ran screaming when my daughter called me into the humid bathroom. My husband, who flew in late Friday night, commented that he could run his fingers through my hair without getting stuck in tangles. On Sunday morning, my hair still looked great. Not a sign of curl and none of the greasiness that people with normal straight hair get. I avoided getting it wet again. Eventually, I had to shower and my hair has popped back into curls, a little shorter than I would have liked, but I know that if I want it longer and sophisticated, all I have to do is buy one of those ceramic straightener thingees and spend about an hour every morning fixing my hair...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look marvelous. Sorry.

There is nothing worse than an expensive, high-maintenance beauty trick that actually works.

Anonymous said...

The straight hair looks great, but, speaking as a member of the naturally straight-hair club, I would LOVE to have your natural curls. I guess we all sortof want what we don't have.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, straight-haired girls don't have the option of curly, unless we submit to the tortuous practice of permanent waves, circa 1980's.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Ahh, the secrets of straight hair. Isn't there a book out there called something like The Sisterhood Ya Ya of the Straight Hair Girls?

I wouldn't know. I have no freaking idea what MY hair is. It's not straight. but it's definitely not curly either. Hmmm... something to ponder!

Thanks for stopping by Manic's!

Anonymous said...

I remember thats exactly the way I felt when I straightened my hair for the first time. I didn't know that my frizzy/wavy hair could feel so silky and smooth. Now I am addicted to my straightener! haha

Anonymous said...

straight hair is not ur kinda look...no offense!

Anonymous said...

u look old

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...