Tuesday, July 26, 2011

First Paragraph -- Dancing for Degas


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

This week I am starting Dancing For Degas by Kathryn Wagner with the hope that it will be as good a story as The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. The book is supposed to transport readers to Paris where a young ballerina is painted by Edgar Degas, falls in love with him and is drawn into Paris's secrets.
Here's the first paragraph after the introduction:
I wasn't always filled with such anxiety. The inescapable need for perfection was cultivated during many years of training -- just as my body was strengthened to complete a flawless pirouette, my mind underwent vigorous instruction until I believed that I was better than all others and entitled to nothing short of the riches of an empress. Yet it was no secret that I could be dethroned without a second thought. My success was nothing but an illusion, which I find especially ironic because I was not born into such complications. I sought them out.

What do you think? My reading time is limited these days. Would you pick up this book?

5 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I hadn't heard of this book, but I lived that Intro. I would definitely keep reading. Enjoy

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic intro...and to be honest, it's not a book I would normally gravitate towards but reading this paragraph makes me very curious about the speaker, she's so complex and so arrogant yet vulnerable, obviously quite smart and accomplished and in a seat of power although maybe not with any real power?!

I hope you enjoy this story!

Vicki said...

I agree with Amy. I think I'd keep reading.
Here's Mine

Linda said...

I'm thinking you would learn a lot about Degas and the world of dancing at the Garnier Opera in Paris so I'd keep reading. It may not be good after a couple of chapters-hard to say.

danasparkle said...

i love this idea by Diane. will join in too. also the Degas book looks so interesting i'm going to gift it to an ex-ballerina friend 4 her birthday. thanx for leaving a comment on my blog.
*

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...