Tuesday, July 19, 2011

First Paragraph -- The Uncoupling


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I started a book last night that had such a dull first paragraph, that I knew I had to switch before today's post. So I'm trying The Uncoupling by Meg Wolitzer. Here's the first paragraph:
People like to warn you that by the time you reach the middle of your life, passion will begin to feel like a meal eaten long ago, which you remember with great tenderness. The bright points of silver. The butter in its oblong dish. The corpse of a chocolate cake. The leaning back in a chair at the end, slugged on the the head and overcome. Dory Lang had always thought there was a little cruelty in such a warning. It was similar to how, when she had a baby, people always tried to clue her in on what they were sure would befall her. Once, long ago, Dory and her infant daughter were riding a bus in the city, when an old woman leaned over and said, "May I tell you something, dear?" She had a kind face full of valleys and faults. Dory imagined she was about to describe the baby's beauty -- in particular, the curve of the mouth -- and she made her own mouth assume a knowing, pleased modesty. But what the woman said, leaning even closer, was, "You will never have another day in your life that is free of anxiety."

I love this opening, even with its mixed metaphors of passion and baby compliments. I can't wait to keep reading.
What do you think? Would you read on?

4 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I've heard quite a bit about this book, and that intro definitely pulls you right in!

Misha said...

I have been interested in the book for a long time, but I am still not sure whether I want to read it because of the mixed reviews.
That's definitely an intriguing paragraph!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Hi Paulita! I have a little time here in the cafe with the wifi & just wanted to stop by & thank you for being such a faithful follower. It makes me very happy to know that someone out there is actually finding what I am doing of interest. So reallly thanks so much! I love hearing from you & only wish I had more time to respond. Hope you are having a great summer. Sally

Lucia said...

You betcha I would read on!!! I'm going to see if it's available at our library!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...