Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First Paragraph, Teaser Tuesday -- What Came First


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I'm back to entertaining, escapist books now that I'm teaching full tilt again. I just picked up What Came First by Carol Snow. Here's the first paragraph:
The chickens are getting restless.
It is just past sunrise on a chilly Saturday morning in January, and insomnia kept my brain whirring until after two a.m. Now all I want to do is stay buried under my hypoallergenic faux-down comforter and return to the dream that is already slipping away.
But the chickens have other ideas -- assuming their primitive little brains are capable of anything that can be termed an idea.

Hmmm. The opening doesn't seem to offer much, but I kept going and the book is pretty entertaining. It follows three women who used the same sperm donor to father their children for various reasons.

Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Here's my teaser from page 140:
He said good night and turned to go.
I said, "Wait." I was going to ask him if he wanted my phone number. Instead I kissed him. We held each other for a long, long time and then exchanged phone numbers. Later I asked him why he hadn't asked for mine in the first place. Was he just going to walk away and forget about me? He said he'd been planning to find me in the Sears houseware department the next day. He was going to buy some pots and pans and then ask if he could make me dinner. How weird: Eric's most romantic gesture is something he never actually did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The teaser definitely took us a little farther than the beginning! Good choice.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow! I like the premise of this story, and the first paragraph caught my interest, too.

I like the author's last name, too...lol

Here's MY TT POST and
MY WEBSITE

Book Savvy Babe said...

I know that feeling (not so much w/ the chickens) but the desire to just stay in bed...*sigh* Anyhow, thanks for stopping by my TT today! Book Savvy Babe

Nise' said...

I can sympathize with her! I'd keep reading.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...