Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mahjong in the Morning

On Wednesdays, I don't have to go to campus to teach. I hesitate to say I don't have to work, because I still do plenty of work; I can just do it in my pajamas if I want to.
But this morning, I planned to meet Sheila and Tracie for coffee. Since the three of us were meeting, I suggested that Sheila bring her Mahjong set. And she did, even though the case looks like a machine gun case.
If you haven't played mahjong with tiles instead of on the computer, you're missing out. We have these nice ceramic tiles. They're smooth and satisfying to hold in your hands. The goal is to choose a hand and try to get the tiles to create that hand. It looks complicated, but after a couple of games, everyone gets the hang of it.
 
This morning, Sheila won three games in a row, before Tracie and I had really figured out what we were doing. She looks very satisfied in this photo doesn't she?
 
 
It felt pretty decadent to spend a glorious September morning sitting outside the coffee shop playing mahjong. A number of people stopped by to watch us and comment. One woman went so far to ask, "Do you have kids in school or something?" as if there could be no other excuse for sitting and "wasting" our time on a weekday. Of course, I work and Tracie works and Sheila is still homeschooling, so we made no excuses for our fun.
Mahjong with coffee, not quite as fun as mahjong with wine. But time spent with friends -- priceless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really was a lovely morning. Let's do it again soon. :)

Linda said...

That's one game I've never played. Looks like fun.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This does like like a fun game.. Have never even tried the computer version.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...