Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- Hello From the Gillespies

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I don't buy very many actual books anymore. Mostly, I buy books on my Kindle or borrow actual books from the library. But just before Christmas, I was browsing for books to buy my kids and this cover and story caught my eye. Luckily, my husband bought it for me for Christmas. Hello From the
Gillespies by Monica McInerney is about an Australian family that sends out a cheery end-of-the-year newsletter until the year that they decide to tell the truth.
Here's the intro:
It was December first. Angela Gillespie did as she'd done on that date for the past thirty-three years. She sat down at her desk before dinner and prepared to write her annual Christmas letter.
After doing so many, she had the process down to a fine art. It was a matter of leafing through her diary to recall the year's main events, writing an update about each member of the family -- herself, her husband, and their four children -- attaching a photo or two, then sending it off.
The book cover alone would have sucked me in, of course. But the book is set in Australia instead of France.
I haven't begun reading this book yet. I'm saving it to have a hard copy book to take on the plane to France next month.
Hope everyone else is reading a book you love.

9 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I loved this book...the cover drew me in, too...I kept looking at it as I read, and it actually matches the door at the Gillespie home!

Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for sharing.

Here's mine: “YOU CAN TRUST ME”

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

It does have a great cover...you will have to let us know what happens...I am kind of curious. When do you leave for France? Exciting!!

Juli Rahel said...

The cover makes me incredibly nostalgic for my summer holidays in France, while the intro reminds me of when we used to send family Christmas letters each year. As a child they were such a torture because I couldn't ever remember what had happened to me that year! Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a great week!
My Tuesday post
Juli @ Universe in Words

kayerj said...

I love the cover art and the opening paragraph. Sadly it reminded me that I have never got around to writing my annual Christmas letter this year. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I love the premise of this book. What if everyone told the unvarnished truth in their Christmas letters instead of bragging? Sounds like this could be a good story.
My Tuesday post features ALL THAT GLITTERS.

Monica's Bookish Life said...

I love the cover of the book, too! I would keep reading. This one looks good. Hope you enjoy your trip to France!

Linda said...

I have this on my list to buy and read! I love the cover art on it!

Linda in VA

Literary Feline said...

I hope you enjoy this one (and have a nice trip!). I have heard great things about this book.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Very pretty cover and based on the intro, I'd keep reading. (I also only try to buy eBooks these days)

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...