Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- Falling For You

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I know this book will not catch the interest of Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea who sponsors Tuesday Intros each week, but sometimes, I need a fun read that lets me escape to the British seaside where young women make mistakes before they fall in love. Technically, that could be the description for a Jane Austen novel, but instead it's Jill Mansell's latest book Falling For You.
Jill Mansell always manages to pull me into the current of her books. With all the papers I have to grade this week, I need an escape.
Here's the intro:
If she jumped high enough into the air, Maddy Harvey could see the party carrying on without her, blissfully unaware of her absence. Well, she could see in a blurry, abstract kind of way -- the lights in the house, the trees surrounding it, and the outlines of other partygoers either drifting from room to room or dancing manically along to Kylie Minogue (truly a girl for all age groups). 

The intro may not hook you, but it turns out that Maddy had jumped over a wall looking for a place to pee, but she ripped open the book of her jeans and couldn't get back over the wall. She's saved by a man who comes out in the dark, and since she doesn't have her glasses or contacts, she can't tell that he's from the family of the man who killed her sister in a car accident.

Hope you're reading something you enjoy.

7 comments:

Lucia said...

reading mindless smut...loving THE SANTANGELOS

Paulita said...

Lucia, I haven't heard of it. Glad you're enjoying it though.

Lucia said...

It's fromt he Late Great Jackie Collins, God rest her soul!

Unknown said...

Glad your enjoying it. Thanks for sharing

Literary Feline said...

I've been wanting to try this author for awhile now. I love the scene you describe--what a moment to be caught in! Thanks for sharing.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've never tried this author, but I'm guessing she might not be for me based on the intro. Hope you love it though.

Mystica said...

I've not read this author but seen lots about her books around. Glad you like this one.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...