Sunday, May 07, 2017

Dreaming of France -- Old Haunts and Old Friends

Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

Happy, but exhausted.
For the first time since I received my Fitbit for my birthday last year, I had a couple thousand steps in by the time I went to bed last  night. That's because I went to Aix en Provence and went to meet with my old friend Delana.
I met Delana from her blog. She was a 50-year-old woman who had gotten divorced and moved to France. It was supposed to be for a year, but she was hooked and hasn't gone back to Minnesota, eight years later.
Delana has lots of energy and many friends, so it's always fun to connect with her.

We spent the night at her apartment, and this morning, I went for a run in Aix en Provence. This was the first French city that ever felt like home to me. I walked along the Cours Mirabeau and it just felt like I belonged.
This morning, after only about four hours of sleep, I got up and headed out for a run.
Paul Cezanne, the painter, had his studio in Aix.

We always love to visit it. An artist's workshop is called an atelier, so we generally visit Cezanne's atelier.

 Today being Sunday, plus election day, plus early, I knew I couldn't go inside, but I wanted to run up the mountain so I could see Mont Ste. Victoire, one of Cezanne's favorite subjects.

He painted the mountain view over and over again as his eyesight got worse.
Copies of his paintings of Mont Ste Victoire are displayed from a gorgeous viewpoint.

The paintings are displayed here on this bluff, it you turn around, you can see the mountain. 

Here's my attempt at an artsy photo of Mont Sainte Victoire. 
My knees were a bit tender, so it wasn't the best run, but the views were spectacular. 


We visited a city that we liked a lot on Saturday morning, so it's still in the running for the place we could move. It's called Pezenas. Everyone kissed each other as they stopped for coffee. 

Do you think all this sunshine might be luring us like sirens?
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Please leave you link below and visit each other's blogs to share your love for France. 


7 comments:

Louise said...

What a beautiful area, although it looks so sunny and warm yet everyone is rugged up with jackets on the street so it must be cooler than I think. And blogs are such a great way to make new friends, so lovely for you to meet up in person.

Paulita said...

Louise, Have you noticed how in France they continue to wear warm clothes lol by after spring has arrived? I'm always the only one in sandals

Anonymous said...

You were in Pézenas on Saturday? Because we were there yesterday for the grand déballage--1.5 kms of antiques. It was nuts. Pézenas is a very pretty town indeed.
Let me know when you'll be near Carcassonne.

Just Me said...

Please know I am savoring your every word and picture but have nothing equivalent to say. Can't wait to here about the election today. It's so neat that you are able to run every where you stay. I'm envious. FYI, it's a lovely 37F in Columbus and Louisville this morning. Cheers.

Jeanie said...

How wonderful to connect with your friend. I've yet to get to the South of France but all I see looks so wonderful. Your potential town sounds wonderful! Can't wait for more!

Jacqui Brown said...

It looks lovely. I know Pezanas a little, the market mainly, but I don't really know that area. Have a great time!

Paulita said...

Francetaste, A tennis match took you to Pezenas, no doubt. Sorry we missed each other.
Just Me, So glad to have you along on the journey.
Jeanie, Yes, you should put southwestern France on your agenda. Definitely worth seeing.
Jacqui, We were at the market in Pezenas. We loved it.
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...